HOME            ABOUT            CONTACT ME            DISCLAIMER            ARTS & CRAFTS            MY BLOG AWARDS

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Spicy Shrimp with Bok Choy Noodle Bowl (aka PHO)

So you will find that most, well pretty much all of my recipes come from Rachel Ray. Her recipes are super easy, fun to make and actually taste, well really good. Most of the time, they become my own recipe, as I usually end up changing the recipe to fit my taste. With this recipe I used less red pepper flakes then originally called for (and I like spicy, but come on Rach. 2 tsp is ridiculous). Replaced the shitake mushrooms with white button mushrooms (just cause I had them in my fridge and didn't want to waste). I opted to omit the ginger completely (I'm not big on ginger) and the seafood stock (I couldn’t find it in the store, and didn't even think to look for clam juice). I had to add Serrano peppers and cilantro, seriously what is PHO without that?


I have to say with all the changes, this was off the hook!!!! BEST PHO EVER!!!

So the photo isn't the greatest but this recipe inspired me to start this blog after the fact. I only have a picture because I texted it to my neighbor who I thought had to try it and she loved it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

On the Lisa Scale for Difficulty to make, 10 being super easy and 1 being majorly hard to make.
I score this a TEN, it's a TEN!!

On being able to find the ingredients easily in my pantry or the store, 10 being super easy and 1 being majorly hard.
I score this a TEN, it's a TEN!!

Cook and prep time: Apx 45 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3 turns of the pan
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, chopped (or two teaspoons of the crushed garlic in a jar)
2 bins of white button mushrooms whole, then slice them (or 1 case of the sliced button mushrooms) really any mushroom will work and just put in what you think looks good.
1 medium bok choy, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces, then cut sticks lengthwise (I just tore up 2 bok choy, didn't worry about trimming them or cutting them)
Salt and pepper (this is key to flavor)
2 quart chicken broth (original said for 1 quart, but I added 2 quarts and felt like I could have used 3)
1 1/2 pounds medium peeled and deveined shrimp
1/2 pound vermicelli (thin spaghetti) (I used capellini spaghetti, it's all I could find)
4 scallions, cut into 3 inch pieces, then shredded lengthwise into thin sticks (I just chopped them up)
1 Serrano pepper chopped, seeds and all go in the pot
1/2 bunch cilantro, just chop it up and put it in the soup

Toppings - Soy Sauce (I think this is a must), extra Serrano peppers and chinese hot sauce (any kind works)


DIRECTIONS:
Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil, 3 turns of the pan, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, mushrooms, and bok choy, then season with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth. Put a lid on the pot and bring soup to a boil. Add shrimp, Serrano pepper and noodles and cook 10 minutes. Add in scallions, and cilantro and cook 2 minutes, then turn off soup and let it sit 2 to 3 minutes more. Adjust salt and serve.

No comments: