HOME            ABOUT            CONTACT ME            DISCLAIMER            ARTS & CRAFTS            MY BLOG AWARDS

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lemon Chicken with Rosemary Rice and Steamed Organic Broccoli

So my son was craving Lemon Chicken, he recently had it while we dined out with our neighbors at one of our fav Japanese restaurants. Instead of paying $50 for all of us to eat out, I decided to Google, you got it!, a Rachel Ray recipe for Lemon Chicken.

So comments on the meal were:
"It's too lemony."
"It doesn't taste like lemon chicken, I don't like it." (after all of it was eaten except 2 pieces)

Me personally, I would make it again and thought it was good, especially for my first attempt. It was a tad on the sweet side, so I need to either use less lemon curd or figure something else out. Ahhh Lemon Curd, supposedly very hard to find in stores, I found it at Raley's right in the Jam and Jelly isle, so for me it was super easy to find. Well the boy found it first, so props to him.

So this is another bad picture, taken today, yes it’s my lunch. I have to stop using my phone's camera as you can tell it takes horrible pictures. But then again I didn't plan ahead, not thinking I'd be writing this blog, otherwise I would have taken it last night when it was all pretty on the plate with the broccoli. Yes, the broccoli is not here, it was so good there was none left over and I made a whole steamer pot full for 3 people.

So the Lisa scale:
Difficulty: I give it a 10, really simple to make.
Finding the ingredients: I give it a 10, I had everything in my house except the Lemon Curd.
Yumminess: I give it an 8, I’d make it again, just with some minor tweets.

For this recipe I made it just how the recipe states, only I didn't add any hot water. I thought the sauce already looked too thin, so I added more lemon curd to thicken it up and some flour. I ended up using 11oz of Lemon curd, which I think is why it ended up so sweet. I also left the chicken on the side, and didn't put it back in the sauce as the recipe calls for. I wanted to give everyone the option of how saucy they wanted their chicken to be. Plus if they didn't like the sauce at all they could omit it completely.

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast or chicken tenders, cut into chunks
1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
Coarse salt
2 tablespoons wok or vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan
1 tablespoon (a splash) white or rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth or stock 8 ounces
(1 cup) prepared lemon curd
1/4 cup hot water (I omitted)
1 lemon, zested
2 scallions, thinly sliced or 20 blades fresh chives, finely chopped

DIRECTIONS:
Coat the chunked chicken lightly in flour, seasoned with a little salt. Heat a large skillet or a wok-shaped nonstick pan over high heat. Stir fry chicken until golden, 3 or 4 minutes (until it's cooked). Remove chicken from the pan and return pan to heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add a splash of vinegar to the pan and let it evaporate. Add stock or broth to the pan and scrape up any drippings with a whisk. Thin curd by stirring in a little hot water ( I didn't do this, it already looked really thin). Add curd to broth and whisk to combine. Add chicken back to the pan and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken sauce and finish cooking chicken pieces through ( I did not add the chicken back in, I added a little flour and more lemon curd to thicken it up). When I added the flour and more curd (don't recommend adding more curd) I then, add the scallions or chives and zest, and stirred well to combine zest and scallions or chives evenly throughout the sauce.

I served this with Organic steamed broccoli, nothing like fresh veggies steamed. I also had rosemary rice. Rosemary rice is super easy, just add a spring of rosemary to your rice cooker and remove it when it's done. It just gives the rice that little bit of flavor that makes you think "hmmmm, what is that?"

No comments: